Tuesday 8 December 2020

Christmas Make-Over - Patricia Basson

Hello Dusty Friends!
It's December, can you believe it? 
Meaning it's Christmas Decoration time...I was busy setting up all my Snow globes that I display in my kitchen...I bought this Church last year and just did not like the red and white very plasticky look. So into my craft-room I went with the idea to just give it a new lick of paint. Whilst adding Gesso my mind went to "what am I going to do for my Dusty Attic blog-post?" Tada!!! Christmas Lightbulb moment...why not go all the way, add some Dusty chipboards and really give it a decent Make-over. It now proudly stands among my decorations for all to enjoy...











I started by adding the Icicles to the rooftop. Not wanting to waist, I placed the small off-cuts to the windowsills. After gesso I gave them a generous thick coating of Aleene's Glitter Snow Paste. I also added paste to the patches of snow on the Roof.
I colored the roof tiles using Liquid Acrylic from Finnabair, Ink Black and Umber.
The walls were colored with Brown, Cream and Dusty Rust Effect Pastes also from Finnabair. I also added spots of Beton Effect Paste from Cadence to the edges for a more weathered look.













To get the amazing look and textures on the Iron Accent and the Window Shutters (I sadly only had the small size of the oval design left) I painted them with the Ink Black, Umber and Tiger Orange Liquid Acrylics. Once dry I added some Cool Grey Rust Paste onto which I sprinkled the Rusting Powder and sprayed it with some vinegar. I did that a few times to get a thick Rust effect.
The Door Handles got some Bronze Age Metallic Wax and Patina Blue and Green Matt waxes.











I glued the two pieces of the Lamp Posts together to get a more studier piece. I painted a layer of Distress Clear Crackle paint and once dry painted with Tiger Orange paint. Some Ink Black gives in depth.
The Brick pieces were also Gesso's and embossed with Ancient Amber and Dirty Sand Baked Texture embossing powders. I left the parts that did not get Embossing powder, it looks as if it has some snow laying on them this way. 







I am very Happy with the look it has now compared to what it was.





And so, 
Christmas comes to bless us!
Comes to teach us how to find
The joy of giving happiness
And the joy of being kind.
~Gertrude Tooley Buckingham~
"There Will Always Be a Christmas," 1940s

No comments:

Post a Comment