Tuesday 23 June 2020

Sweet Memories - Kristy Abela

Hi FANAttic's...

Here is my second Antonis Tzanidakis inspired Dusty Attic inspiration.
I love doing canvas and seeing as this is my birthday month... I took this opportunity to remind myself that self love, fidelity to a worthy cause and sweet memories are all I need. Have a look and see how I get this one done.   



I love these mini Polaroid Chip boards.
There are so many useful pieces in one.
I keep the squares to use instead of foam tape...




These page tabs are super cool to break up layers in the matt. 


I covered a canvas approximately 5" x 7" with book pages and vintage papers. I used some clear crackle paste around the edges because I knew I wanted to add something to the background to age it. While the crackle was still wet I added my jigsaw pieces to it as this will double as an adhesive. I pushed the pieces into the paste to remove a little bit of height and add an extra edge for the adhesive.


I lay my chipboard and basic elements onto my dried background using the puzzle pieces as a platform. I had to use an off cut to fill the area behind the photo. 



 I then painted the individual pieces in a variety of vintage shades with paint by Stamperia. I wasn't really concerned with the paint coming onto the background as I was hoping for a happy accident and a little more variation in colour once I had oiled the canvas.



I completely covered the canvas with an oil paint in Burnt Umber. It looks pretty scary when you see all the work you have put into it covered in what looks like mud! With a moist wipe I removed the paint leaving behind what is essentially a stain. How good does the crackle look!! When you use an oil paint it is fully water resistant and won't bleed if you add water to newer layers. 


I used a few left overs from the background to create a matt and inked the edges with Distress Oxide in Vintage Linen.


Before laying down my elements I added some sisal and some linen and lace textural elements to emphasize the aging. I then did some dry brushing with white gesso. I then went over the canvas with some wax in Aged Brass to break up what looked like too much vintage... After all what says vintage more than a bit of dulled metal. 





Thanks for looking & make sure you go on over to our group Dusty FANattics and see how other people have been inspired to use their chippy.

No comments:

Post a Comment