Sunday 6 January 2013

"One & Only" - Karen Shady DT

I have been really excited for this day to come. Today, is my first reveal as a Design Team member for THE DUSTY ATTIC. I have been a hoarder of Dusty Attic products for a long time, they are my guilty little secret :). I have drawers full of beautiful, intricate chipboard pieces, just waiting patiently for that 'perfect' layout to put them on. Why do we scrapbookers do that ? why do we 'save' our favourite products for that 'perfect' page, its not like you cant just go out and get more. ( I also have a stash of 'really special' papers too, but shhh, dont tell anyone OK)

 Being a part of the design team this year, has finally given me the push Ive needed to get them out of the drawers, and onto my layouts, and I must say, they look so much more beautiful on a page, than stuck inside my drawer.

My style is quite florally, but, Ive tried to make this layout a little more masculine. This is a photo of 3 of my 4 boys, taken recently on a trip to Sovereign Hill. Ive used the top layer of the DA Swirl frame, these come in a pack of 2, so i still have another one to use later, I kept the frame natural, as it blended perfectly with the browns in my layout.

I painted the ornate name plate ends using a makeup sponge, and the brand new Dusty Attic acrylic paint, in Navajo white. I find the makeup sponge to be the easiest way to apply paint, as it gets into all the little nooks and crannies, in even the most intricate chipboard pieces.

I inked the piece of Grass border, using Tim Holtz 'Walnut' coloured distress ink. The darker coloured distress inks take to the chipboard really well. I used a makeup sponge to apply the ink, then, gave a lighter application to the flower tops, kind of stippling it on randomly, leaving some parts un inked, as you can see below. 
 
 
'You are my one and only' Layout by Karen Shady
THE DUSTY ATTIC PRODUCTS USED
Vintage nameplate set

Thanks so much for visiting today, I hope I have inspired you to take your stash of 'special scrappy things' out of the drawers, and get them onto a layout.



Hugs
Karen

2 comments:

  1. Sweet photo and beautifully framed Karen!! Love the pretty colors of the page as well, so serene! xo

    ReplyDelete