Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Love this - Lisa Gregory

 Hello Dusty Attic Lovers. I wanted to do a pink layout this month for Breast Cancer Awareness month. My wish is that that by the time my sweet  Grand-daughter is a young adult, that we would have found a cure, so her generation will never have to deal with it. I see 2 Indian Feathers Representing Strength and Courage, A split circle vine that will one day come together to make whole again, and an arrow to battle the monster of breast cancer. This is in honor of all of the survivors, and in memory of the ones we have lost...
For the background,  I mounted a white piece of card stock onto a piece of cardboard for stability, then covered it with gel medium. After it dried, I used color mists and water until I achieved the saturation and design I wanted. I did some masking with texture paste on random spots, and sprayed it again till the color fell into the cracks.

I prepared the feather with a VERY light coat of white gesso. When it dried, I heat embossed embossing powder in  couple of layers in a couple of different colors. I then took a white wash coating of gesso and wiped it after applying it. This gave it a metalic look with a hint of patina from age.

I created layers of distressed patterned paper, burlap, cheese cloth, and jute to mat my photo.

Once the flowers were all placed on the layout, I dry brushed a bit of gesso over them as well to tie them into into the  layout. 

Here is another closeup of the other feather showing more detail in the pattern. Since the embossing ink didn't touch the grooves, they stayed free of embossing powder, and the powder just blew away during the heating process leaving the detailed pattern of the feather intact. The wash of gesso settled in the grooves and it created an old worn metal look.

I heat embossed the Love This Arrow after it was primed with white gesso. Sometimes I give it a second coat and that creates a texture with the embossing powder.

Here is a detailed look at the layers of the photo mat. To achieve dimension and height, I adhered small pieces of corrugated cardboard between each layer. This technique is less expensive than using pop dots and I always have cardboard readily available. 

The Vine Frame was also heat embossed after giving it a coat of gesso. This allows the color to be more opaque than transparent.

Thank you for joining me this month. You can see more photos and details on my blog with information on joining the Moodboard Challenge and who inspired me to create this layout. Check back in often as The Dusty Attic designers continue to inspire us all. 

 My Blog

Dusty Attic Products:

1 comment: