Monday 16 December 2013

Canvas by Helena - With a Tutorial

Canvas

This is a canvas that I made using lots of gorgeous Dusty Attic chipboard. The photo is one of my favourites of my darling daughter.

I started with a Rustic Farm Fence (DA0855) behind my photo, I painted the fence white and then distressed it a bit. The new Mini Hinges (DA1006) are just adorable and I decided to make them grungy and rusty as a contrast to all the white and pink on this page. I have a tutorial further down on how I used Dusty Attics new Rusting Powder (DA0995) on the hinges - love this stuff!!

Canvas 5

Canvas 4

The Birds on a Branch #3 (DA1003) I painted white, misted with light brown glimmer mist and then covered with Clear Gloss Varnish (DA0901) and Clear Crackle Varnish (DA0900). I cut a little piece of the branch and put it into the smaller flower cluster on top of the page.

Canvas 3

Canvas 2

Here's how I made the rusty hinges: I have used a Mini Hinge, Rusting Powder, Clear Gloss Varnish, White Vinegar in a Mini Spritz Bottle (DA0610). I have also used white gesso.

Rusty tut 1

I first painted the hinge with white gesso.

Rusty tut 2

Before the paint had dried I sprinkled the rusting powder on the chippie, this way no glue is needed. I then sprayed white vinegar on the hinge and let it dry. I added another spray after a while. The effect when the rusting powder reacts to the white vinegar is so cool! It changes color and becomes more brownish - which gives the rusty effect. You may have to add vinegar several times to get the effect you want.

Rusty tut 3

When I was satisfied with my rusty effect, I added the Clear Gloss Varnish and let everything dry.

Rusty tut 4

And here's the hinge when ready - all rusty and pretty, ready to be used on my canvas!

Rusty tut 5

Thank you for stopping by today!

Helena





1 comment: